Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A la commode

So, this is a commode (or sometimes referred to as a "convenience" cabinet) .


Here's a bit of history for you; It served as a washstand for a washbasin. The enclosed area below was for a chamberpot (or "potty").

(I also found out, in my bit of research...a "commode" was a term used a few hundred years ago for loose women who were "agreeable" and / or "convenient," if you know what I mean. So naughty!)

Anyway, back to my point, my Mom got it years ago from my Grandfather and is about a hundred years old (+/-). Thankfully, this precious set of drawers found its way to me, proudly planted in my "living room."



The handle's one of my favorite parts. So primitive, so delicious.


Inside, it smells of wood and the candles my mom used to store there.

Lassie playing cards found in drawer.

This beauty now sits on top. It once belonged to my great grandmother, Margaret Wescott.




4 comments:

Unknown said...

I miss it!

gigirose said...

my mom has one too! we call it the "wash stand" and it has a bar over the top to hold a hand towel. It is lovely and i'm currently vying with my sisters over who gets it in the long run. although ours has no family-heirloom stories to go along with it, it does smell of the table linens that were stored in the drawers, much like the candles in yours!

Wendy said...

a camode in the middle of the kitchen? I'd have something to say about that if I were still there.

Voom Voom Veda said...

I like the hole in the drawer, its very mysterious....