Thursday, November 15, 2007

To "putter"



Little did I know that the way I tend to spend my free time, at home, actually has a name.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered a plethora of definitions for a word I thought my Mom made up. For she is a "putterer," by making a house a home. It's the time one spends drifting from one tasks to the next, in and around the house. A little of this, a little of that. All the while, introducing beauty to the ordinary.

I just thought it was an mild case of adult ADD, and perhaps it is, but somehow it brings me a sense of peace. For instance, yesterday, I puttered. I organized my craft supplies, cleaned out a storage closet, fixed a magnet, dusted, found the perfect spot for a decorative dish. These simple acts, become reflections of who we are. The choices we make, the things we hold dear, the environments we hope to create.

Cookey, I know, but I love it. If only it were as easy to "putter" through our days, in the "outside world" as it is at home. To drift from one task to the next without a schedule or pressure to achieve a larger goal. I'm sure there's a name for that too.

4 comments:

Voom Voom Veda said...

Left to your puttering, you make a happy and comfortable home, my dear.
By the way, we had a little boy...come and check him out!
miss you,
voom voom

Yo Mama said...

I must say the orange dish that I saw here in your treasures looked ugly and how cheerful it looks nestled beside your plants! good job! yo mama

gigirose said...

i love to putter!
it truly is therapeutic.
cheers!

Wendy said...

My mom wants me to copy that for her. Very well put.